1-5-09

I did NOT take this photo. It was taken by Robert W. Madden on Fox Island, and features Bo Hoppin, an educator with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation. It was the cover photo on National Geographic some years back. The reason this photo is today's photo is because of this story:

Last year I took 25 kids to an island in the Chesapeake Bay. http://chrissysphotoaday.blogspot.com/2007/11/10-31-07.html

Only 12 of these kids could afford the the $225 price tag. The trip was cancelled when only a dozen signed up, but I begged the school for 24 more hours to find the rest of the money. My cousin John called me within an hour of my email plea to all my relatives... he said, "Don't worry, Chrissy- it's covered." And it was. A couple of my other relatives helped out, but John donated over $2000 towards the trip.

John died two weeks ago.

I attended the celebration of his life and gave a short eulogy about his love of the Chesapeake Bay and his generosity, and how his big heart made it possible for all 25 country kids from central Virginia to experience an island for three days.

After the service, a stranger came up to me named Bob. He shook my hand and gave me his business card. On the back of the card, he printed in block writing, "IT'S STILL COVERED."

I cried.

Today the school received a letter from CBF stating that it was accepted again for a trip, this time to Fox Island- the most magical place on Earth. As far as the price tag-- it's still covered. So, look here after Memorial Day Weekend for some fabulous photos like the one above, because that's where I'll be.

God Bless You, John.
And you too, Bob.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful. The picture, the story... all of it. xo

---Moonie

Anonymous said...

I agree. That is beautiful.

Julie