7-3-12


Today was awesome. It was my first day on campus as a new faculty member and I had to meet with my department chair, get my faculty ID, get my parking pass, and get my office key. Everything went so smoothly. Aza dropped me off near Haley Center and as I was walking into the building a man on a bench said, "Excuse me, can I ask you a really big favor?" and my city sense was worried that the request for a handout was coming. So I hesitantly said, "That all depends..." and the man said, "I'd like you to have a really great day." and I remembered where I was and replied that I would do my best. Everyone was so helpful. I took the bus system around campus to get the different things accomplished, and get this: The bus system is high tech. There is a central location near Haley Center where all the buses start from. There's a computerized board that tells you when each bus is expected to arrive. There are directions to download the bus app.... and the bus app tells you where each bus is in real time. I was so excited! I searched for the street on which I live, and found out that a bus has a stop 2 blocks away. The SAME bus stop I used to walk to for the bus to the high school. Amazing. So, after getting my ID and receiving a special welcome bag full of goodies and a personalized map tour of campus explaining all the faculty amenities an perks, I took the bus to my old high school bus stop and walked home.




No comments: