7-31-12

Kissing July Goodbye.

This July has just been a nightmare and so much work and worry, I'm not even going to grace this last post of the month with a photo. We found another bug today... this one was a juvenile and I found it in the laundry area. I can't really call it a laundry room because it's really just part of the carport. I vacuumed the hell out of the laundry area after that and sucked up roaches and the tail of a dead squirrel. See? Nobody wants a picture of that. I just can't wait to get out of  this humid moldy buggy house.

But I got a grant submitted, have met a lot of people at the university I can work with, have my office set up nicely, and went to Ann Taylor Loft tonight and bought myself some nice new sleeveless shirts.Shirts that I have to store in a black plastic trash bag to keep them safe from the bugs.

I tell you, moving back to the deep south has been an experience. I think I romanticized it by reading too many books and watching too many southern movies. Books and movies don't come with humidity. Well, here they do. Everything comes with a hovering wet feeling and the smells are so intense with the vapor to cling to. The car smells like cat urine. The bedrooms smell like old socks. Old sweaty socks.

I drive around town and walk around campus and think, "is it really true that I live here now?" Well, it's time to get over that. Yes. I live here now. I'm going to bloom where I'm planted, dress for the occasion, and make the best of it. If only I had a front porch in the shade with rocking chairs and ceiling fans. I'd really like it more here if I had that.

2 comments:

jeschnittka said...

MOVE OUT OF THAT HOUSE!!!! And be careful not to spread the bugs! Have you gotten the house fumgated?? Or heated up to kill the bugs?

Chrissy said...

House is being treated today with three different chemicals. We will get out asap but not before the bugs are in their graves. Not taking a chance of bringing them with us!