1-26-14

This is me, my friend from high school Doug, and his sweetheart. Doug is a stained glass artist, and was just diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer. His wife died 10 years ago leaving him to raise a teenaged boy alone and put through college, and since then lost his job and became a "starving artist" and doesn't have health insurance. His bills have risen to almost $10,000. He had one chemo treatment two days before this photo was taken in my kitchen. If you are a regular reader of my blog, please consider making a donation of any amount to help him with living expenses and medical bills. He will have six weeks of chemo and radiation and during that time, and at some point, he will most likely not be able to work.  He has a feeding tube inserted into his stomach for the day when his throat is so raw from radiation that he cannot eat. He has a port in his chest for the chemo drugs. I've heard that throat cancer treatment is especially painful. You can visit the fundraising site that our high school classmates set up to read his story and make a contribution. Anything helps lift his spirits and his bank account. If you make a donation, please leave me a comment so I can thank you personally!

https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/dgfP3



After Doug and Sweetheart left, my grad students came over for a training session on the new 3D printer. The workshop was lead by Squirt, who did a great job instructing us all.

No comments: