9-2-14

Today I scored big. Next week I start teaching a knitting class at a local, poor, rural high school. I asked on Facebook if anyone had any extra yarn or needles and two friends here in town donated all this wonderful stuff. I will still need more worsted weight yarn (some of the donated stuff isn't great for beginners), and eventually I'll need double pointed needles and circulars, but I'll cross that path later. But this morning I got to have coffee with an old high school friend who brought some goodies, and this evening I went to the local yarn shop for the weekly knitting circle and got the rest of this amazing pile of goodies. If any of my blog followers want to donate to the cause, let me know! I'm hoping that knitting promotes spatial thinking, and that spatial thinking promotes science and math and engineering design thinking. This is just a preliminary investigation, so if I get some good results, more will follow! What fun it is to combine my job with my hobby.

No comments: