2-9-18

A remarkable day.
I was supposed to be gone today, so nothing was on the calendar.
I texted my doc student A to see if she was OK and she said she was in the hospital about to be induced at 40 weeks and 4 days.
I drove right there in time to see the pitocin drip in. I stayed all through the labor, the epidural, and relief of pain, and then it was time to push. I looked in her face as she pushed out a baby--- and held my breath and pushed with her. I heard the baby's first cry before it was even out. I saw it get placed on her belly and then I was asked if I wanted to cut the cord. I did. In two snips. Then I took a picture.
The babe was tucked inside my student's clothes and snuggled there for a while.
Then she was weighed, and then snuggled in for her first meal.
It was a remarkable day. I stayed until 7pm or so... to leave her on her own with a new baby girl.



No comments: